[Tutor] What is a Python "project"?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Oct 3 19:50:39 CEST 2006

Dick Moores wrote:
> I tried out Wing IDE Personal
> (<http://wingware.com/wingide-personal>) off and on for 30 days, and
> then, finding it easy to use (probably because it's designed for
> Python), decided to buy it. I'm happy with it, and very pleased with
> the fast response from technical support available by email.
>
> I've never written anything in Python other than single-file scripts.
> WingIDE has the ability to handle "projects", which apparently
> consist of files and "packages". But what is a project? What does a
> project have that can't be put into a single .py file script?

When a program gets big enough, it is awkward to put everything into a
single .py file. Breaking the program up into modules or packages makes
it easier to understand, navigate and test the code. You might have test
code in a separate module from the code being tested and utility scripts
that are not part of the main program. You could have a command-line
front end and a GUI front end. Also you might have non-Python files in
the project such as configuration files, templates, localization
resources, build scripts, files needed by tests...

Kent