[Tutor] finding AcroRd32.exe - a better way ?

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Thu Nov 30 21:39:51 CET 2006

My app generates an on the fly PDF manual by using reportlab, once generated I
would like it to be automatically opened and displayed by XP adobe reader.

Here's where I get stuck. ...

os.execv('E:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe',
('/n', '/s', 'user.pdf'))

Does what I need and works great but I manualy searched around to find the
path to AcroRd32.exe. Short of writting some code to scan any adobe dirs for
this exe is there a more elegant way for me to ensure my app will work on any
windows machine ?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Dave