[Tutor] OT: Vim was: free IDE for Python?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 16 00:44:30 CET 2006

>>   I've used vim in the past for python and recommend it for ease of
>>   use and support.
>
> I have to chuckle when you recommend Vim for ease of use.

Me too, and I've been a vi/elvis/viper/vim user for over 20 years(*).
vi/vim could never be described as easy to learn, but...

... ease of use can mean ease of use once you have learned it.
ie efficient. Now vim passes that test with flying colours. The
guys who designed vi (Bill Joy the founder of Sun Microsystems
was one of them) took the view that it should be easy for experts
not novices since most programmers would rapidly progress
beyond novice.

One of the great features of vim is that once you grasp its
design philosophy it is entirely consistent and you can often
guess new commands without looking it up in the help.

For those who want a tutorial that teaches the underlying vi
philospohy as well as the basic commands I strongly recommend
the vilearn package (sometimes called teachvi). It is a bash
script so you need a bash shell to install it but GNU or
cygwin bash will work on Windows. Its not pretty but its
short and it  works:

http://www.houseofthud.com/vilearn.html

(*) And I've been an emacs user for equally long, I like and use
both for different things...

Alan G.