[Tutor] editing Path

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 6 18:23:29 CET 2006

> Eli Brosh schrieb:
>> Hello.
>> I am beginning to use python on windows.
>> how can I add a path to Python search-list where I can store my
>> python
>> scripts ?

As has been said there are two aspects.

If you want your scripts to execute as programs you need to
modify the PATH environment variable

MyComputer->Properties->Advanced->Env Variables

But note that this only works inside a DOS box,
if you are using the Start-Run dialog then I think you need to
modify the registry someplace (I can't recall where)
But normally you just double click the icon in
Windows Explorer...

OTOH if you want to import your scripts as modules into other
scripts then you need to set the PYTHONPATH environment
variable.

If you want to do both you need to modify both variables.

Alan G.