[Tutor] GUI with Designer

Chris Hengge pyro9219 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 01:26:16 CET 2006

Well, I use SPE which comes with wxGlade and XRC. For the small amount of
gui I've done with python I think SPE offers the best IDE coder experience
(coming from a VS world). The tools make sense to me.

wxGlade is a GUI designer written in Python with the popular GUI toolkit
wxPython <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxPython>, that helps you create
wxWidgets/wxPython user interfaces. At the moment it can generate Python,
C++, Perl and XRC (wxWidgets' XML resources) code.

XRC(wxWidgets' XML resources) is nice because it allows you to abstract your
interface design (think of any program that uses XML to format skins).

Overall, I think everyone using python should give SPE a try, even without
gui programming its a great tool for writing code. It's free, and written in
python using wxPython.. Stani (the Dev) is a great person for helping out
with questions on using his package, he puts out regular updates and fixes.
He's got some help from a few other people so its packaged in .exe, .rpm and
standalone .zip formats. It's also on the standard repo's for Ubuntu.

If you like it, be kind and toss the guy a few bucks for his efforts. If you
do, you will get your name mentioned on the SPE news page and get a nice
copy of his user manual (pdf).

If you want to know more about SPE, check out:
http://www.serpia.org/spe
or video demonstations at:
http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=PythonDevelopmentWithSPE