[Tutor] help requested: port not free, under Windows XP

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu May 25 03:14:59 CEST 2006

[message re-sent; original seemed not to have been received, according to
the archives. Apologies if this is not the case.]

Hi all-

===Preliminaries===
I wrote a new app (Crunchy Frog) which is meant to transform "boring"
traditional python tutorial into truly interactive experiences.  It is still
at an alpha stage but is promising imo; for those interested, you can find
it at:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125834

It currently requires both CherryPy and Elementtree as additional packages.

Starting the app launch your favourite browser (or open a new tab/window).
This is done through the instruction:
cherrypy.server.start_with_callback(webbrowser.open,  ('
http://localhost:8080',), <http://localhost:8080/>)

===Now the question===
Someone on edu-sig tried to get it working on her computer running Windows
XP home edition (just like mine, where it works fine!). However, she gets an
error message about
" port 8080 not free on local host."   This is after she made sure nothing
else internet-related was working.  [This kind of message can happen if
another instance of Crunchy Frog is already running, which she made sure
wasn't.]

I am stumped....

I am thinking it might be a firewall issue (I have ZoneAlarm installed
myself), but I am really not sure....  I thought there were enough smart and
friendly people here that I could find an answer ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help, pointers, etc.  Of course, you can reply
directly on the edu-sig list if you want!

André