[Tutor] cisco router + telnetlib

Daniel McQuay simplebob at gmail.com
Thu May 25 00:18:46 CEST 2006

Hello List,

I am rather new to programming and I was wondering y'all think the best way
to configure a cisco router using python would be. currently I am using
telnetlib. my problem is, I get an error after connecting to the router.
here is the error I get when I use IDLE:

Enter IP: 205.180.0.3
Warning: Problem with getpass. Passwords may be echoed.
Router Password: cisco
Warning: Problem with getpass. Passwords may be echoed.
Router Secret: class
Enter Router hostname: RouterBob
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\bob\My
Documents\Administration\Scripts\cisco_config.py", line 20, in ?
    tn.write("hostname " + hostName + "\n")
  File "C:\Python24\lib\telnetlib.py", line 292, in write
    self.sock.sendall(buffer)
  File "<string>", line 1, in sendall
error: (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

I have also attached the script that I use. could you please point me in the
right direction.

thank you in advance,

--
Daniel McQuay