[Tutor] Please help!!

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun May 21 15:27:53 CEST 2006

MATATA EMMANUEL wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Man!  I was thinking that it was simple. This is a little bit hard but
> will try to make sense of it as I can.

How would you fetch the shapefile with your browser? Is there a url to
download the file? It's pretty simple to fetch a web page or other
resource from a URL and save it to a local file. urllib.urlretrieve()
will do it.

If you have to authenticate (login) to the web site it gets a little
more complex. urllib2 is similar to urllib but it has more options and
supports authentication. There is a tutorial for urllib2 here:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/urllib2.shtml

Kent