[Tutor] Apple Remote "Mouse"

Johnston Jiaa artificiallystupid at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 06:23:31 CEST 2006

I recently bought a Macbook Pro from Apple.  As it comes with a remote, I thought it would be great to use it as a mouse when not in Front Row.  The fast forward button would move the cursor to the left, the volume increase would move it up the screen, etc and the play button would serve as a "click."

Is there any way to manipulate the cursor position on the screen using Python?  It is greatly appreciated if someone can point in the direction of where to look or what to search as no immediately useful hits came up from google.

I am absolutely clueless about how to implement any of this.  It would be awesome if someone could briefly explain, or maybe point me to a tutorial of any sort, how to write a program that could detect the button pressed on the remote and accordingly move the cursor up, down, side-to-side.  Knowing how to disable the volume control of the "up and down" function of the anticipated remote would also be great, if anyone has time to elaborate how this can be done.

Thank you for reading my message, and I hope you do not regard me as being a waste of your time.

Johnston Jiaa (artificiallystupid at yahoo.com)