[Tutor] using BeautifulSoup

jonasmg at softhome.net jonasmg at softhome.net
Mon Mar 27 19:22:37 CEST 2006

>jonasmg at softhome.net wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm trying to use BeautifulSoup for get data from a table (on right) from:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states
>>
>> i.e. i would get data from 'Calling code' that it would be '+1'
>>
>>  ----------------------
>>
>> import urllib2
>> from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulSoup
>>
>> url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states"
>> html = urllib2.urlopen(url).read()
>> soup = BeautifulSoup()
>> soup.feed(html)

> You just have to find some kind of ad hoc search that gets you to where
> you want to be. I would try something like this:

> anchor = soup.fetch('a', dict(href="/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes"))

> code = anchor.findNext('code')
> print code.string

> Presumably you want this to work for other country pages as well; you
> will have to look at the source, see what they have in common and search
> on that.

> Kent

anchor.findNext('code') fails:

anchor = soup.fetch('a', {'href': '/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes'})
print anchor

 [<a href="/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes" title="List of country
calling codes">Calling code</a>]

anchor.findNext('code')
[]

P.S. : Sorry for my last email, I was wrong with the subject