[Tutor] xemacs and python mode difficulty

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 17 06:21:43 CET 2006

> I would like to know the difference between ~/.emacs and
> .xemacs\custom.el and also how to install the python module, so that I
> can get syntax highlighting, the tab trick, C-c C-c, and the rest of the
> old python mode functionality.

HI Francesco,

You may want to ask the xemacs folks about the first part of your
question: that part of the question, about the difference between '.emacs'
and 'custom.el', is something very emacs/xemacs-specific, and I don't
think we at Python-tutor will be able to help you too effectively on that
point: you are better off asking people who really know what they're
talking about.  *grin*

You should be able to find some introductory information on the '.emacs'
file here:

    http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/xemacs_30.html#SEC390

I believe that .custom.el is a file associated with the Custom library
that comes bundled with emacs:

    http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/custom/

I believe that you probably want to work on .emacs, not .custom.el.  but
again, I strongly recommend you get a real emacs guru to describe these
files.

About installing python-mode.el, do the instructions at:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?PythonMode

help?