[Tutor] Python Programming Books

johnsonv3 johnsonv3 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 15 01:24:40 CEST 2006

I also am a novice.  Nearly finished with the first book listed below...

If learning Python for the fun of it I have found this one enjoyable (pasted
below is listing at Amazon):

      Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, Second Edition (For the
Absolute Beginner) by Michael Dawson (Paperback - Nov 8, 2005)
      Books: See all 13 items
      Buy new:  $29.99 $18.89   Usually ships in 24 hours
      Used & new from $18.89

      If more serious and enjoy a little more math (though not too heavy)
Many recommend the below.  I am finding it useful (another Amazon cut &
paste) but not as fun:

            Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science by John
M. Zelle (Paperback - Dec 2003)
            Books: See all 193 items
            Buy new:  $40.00 $28.00   Usually ships in 6 to 12 days
            Used & new from $20.00

            My mind is still not clear about classes and objects.  Have
found chapters 12,13, and 14 of  How to Think Like a Computer Scientist:
Learning with Python, by Downey, Elkner, and Meyers to be very helpful in
understanding these concepts (I think also available from Amazon but there
is a version that can be downloaded free).  However, I do not feel I have a
full understanding at this point but expect to be getting close by the time
I finish the first book listed above.