[Tutor] Need Help

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Jul 11 21:48:13 CEST 2006

John or Margaret Montgomery wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:41:23 -0500
> Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi.
>> Shappell, John J CW2 wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the assignment
>>>

>> [snip assignment]
>> Please don't ask about homework in the future.  Did your professor tell
>> you to submit queries to this list?  If so, could you ask him not to?
>> it's against the policies of the tutor mailing list to give homework
>> help.  However, I can give you a few hints about python in general.  The
>> rules may be different but my impression was that there was no homework
>> to be submitted here.  If I'm wrong please correct me.
>>

> Perhaps I am wrong, Luke but my impression was that this request was fine. He openly stated it was homework and he did considerable work on it before getting stuck. Also he specifically did not ask for a solution but wished to be nudged in the right direction.
>
> I am sorry that I do not have the knowledge to help but perhaps your tip did the trick.
>
> Perhaps Danny or Kent would clarify this situation.

By posting the entire homework problem, John Shappell did give the
impression that he wanted us to do the problem for him, but as John
Montgomery notes he is just looking for a hint in an area where he is
stuck. That is fine for the tutor list. Since we know it is homework we
can use a light touch and avoid giving the entire solution.

Kent