[Tutor] Linux Python install?

Python python at venix.com
Mon Jan 23 16:06:24 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 09:28 -0500, CPIM Ronin wrote:
> Sorry to bother the list with so simple a question but on moving to Linux
> from Windows XP,  it's not clear to me how to accomplish a Python install on
> Linux. On XP it was mostly point and click on a ".msi" file (with msi
> standing for Microsoft install). I've loaded the latest Fedora/Redhat
> release on an old AMD machine. How do I install Python such that it shows up
> as a selection under the Programming task bar with EMACS?

I assume you are using yum for package management.  It should have been
installed by default.  As root, you can issue the command
	yum install python python-docs python-devel python-tools

The package yumex provides a GUI interface to the yum package manager.
You can think of yumex as the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" application
on steroids.
	yum install yumex

The yumex install view with a filter of
	python
will provide an extensive list of additional python packages.

Finally, I do not know if this includes the best python integration with
EMACS.

> I assume I have to do this under root, right?
>
> Step by step please.
>
> Thanks.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp