[Tutor] References and list aliasing in Perl and Python [Was: Re: Dictionaries]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 19 08:03:59 CET 2006

> > There are tradeoffs here.  On the one hand, Python folks get caught
> > off guard when they first encounter list aliasing.  On the other, Perl
> > folks get caught off guard when they first try to make a hash whose
> > values are themselves lists.  *grin*
> >
> WOW. Great explanation. Don't worry about a deeper hole.
>
> Your examples once again reminded me of one of reasons I started looking
> into Python instead of continuing with Perl. It is not the
> functionality, but the convoluted scripts can get. One can hardly
> understand the code.

Hi Victor,

That might be an unfair judgement.

One can write really convoluted and ugly programs in any programming
language.  And although I do think that our choice in what programming
language we us can affect a program's clarity, I also believe that people
matter much more than the programming language.

Otherwise, what would be the point of a mailing list like this?  *grin*

Best of wishes!