[Tutor] string object into reference

Victor Bouffier victor at grupocdm.com
Tue Jan 17 23:38:48 CET 2006

Ooops. Did not respond to the mailing list.
Here is my replied-to post.
--------------
Hi Kirk,
There is nothing as a dumb question.

I am assuming your source file will have a amino acid residue ('CYS' or
'TRP'), followed by a space, and then the corresponding surface area.
You have to define a variable for adding the surface areas of each
residue type.

As you only have one of two options, the easiest way is to define a
variable for each (e.g. cys, trp) and then open the file and process
each line, adding the surface area to the corresponding amino acid.

As for reference, look for working with files (I/O), string variable
splitting (split function), and basic operations to add each new surface
area.
Try writing some code and posting it back. Would be glad to review it.

Victor