[Tutor] Complete programming newbie requires tutorial.

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Jan 14 15:07:20 CET 2006

Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi,  all.
>
> I wonder whether you can help.  I've just subscribed to the list, so
> look forward to participating.  I have been using GNU/ Linux since about
> 1999, but am a complete newbie when it comes to programming.
>
> I bought the O'Reilly "Learning Python" book, but have struggled with
> it.  I note that resources on the python.org <http://python.org>
> website, but was wondering whether anyone on the list could recommend a
> tutorial.

Did you find this page? It lists several beginners tutorials. "Learning
to Program" and "A Byte of Python" are both popular:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

"Learning Python" is not really oriented towards beginners without
previous programming experience. You might prefer
"Python Programming for the absolute beginner"
"Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science"
'Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional'

Links to the above and more here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

Kent