[Tutor] need help with syntax

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Wed Jan 11 04:52:46 CET 2006

On 11/01/06, bill nieuwendorp <slow67 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  time = struct.unpack(">steps+f",c)
> adding the f to tell structs it is in float format
>
> the string substitution
> seems like it would work but now I cant figure out how I would add the
> f on the end

Did you read up on string substitution?  You can do a few tricks with
it, but in its simplest form, it just replaces '%s' with the argument.
 eg:

'foo%sbar' % 'seven' == 'foosevenbar'

Or even:

'x%sy%sz' % ('foo', 'bar') == 'xfooybarz'

So, in your case, try something like '>%s+f'.

> also this still requires me to reassign 6 to steps
>
> isnt this already done here ?

> ('\x00', '\x00', '\x00', '\x06')
> (6,)

Yes, although in this case steps is a 1-element tuple.  So, steps[0]
will give you what you want :-)

--
John.