[Tutor] IndexError: list index out of range [ Program work fine , but gives this message , guidance requested ]

John Joseph jjk_saji at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 10:47:49 CET 2006

 Hi  Brian
            It was a  excellent  tutorial, Thanks a
lot for the advice  I got my concepts of  def of
functions , sort functions , count , cleared for me
               I was able to do and understand all the
 function example , except “item_comparison” function
           I get the error  for set
 >>> set((1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,5))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'set' is not defined

my python versrion is
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Nov  4 2004, 14:06:56)
[GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)] on linux2
                                    THANKS
                                          Joseph John

--- Brian van den Broek <broek at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> John Joseph said unto the world upon 08/01/06 06:36

We no longer need the continue clause, as converting
to set ensures we
won't ever deal with the same item twice:

 >>> set((1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,5))
set([1, 2, 3, 4, 5])

And, preventing us from dealing with the same item
twice is what makes
this better. To see that, consider:

 >>> def iteration_comparison(sequence):
	list_count = 0