[Tutor] Python upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4

Ivan Furone mail.roma1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 04:05:23 CET 2006

Hello Srinivas,
You can install both versions on the same platform,in separate
directories,and start them individually as any other else
application.Obviously each one will rely on the modules with which was
coming when installed.(And,if you installed further extensions,they will
work properly with the installation corresponding to the version of Python
that they were designed to work correctly for.).If you need even one module
alone that requires a new installation,i suggest to clean install in spite
of updrading.(unless you have disk space problems most of the time.)
Basically,this is the reason for which I suggest to clean install the new
version,then install the new stuff packing it within its directories;and to
keep the old ones alone,where you installed them,with the old
version.Another point:if you need,adjust your PATH in order to point to your
favourite version the more conveniently.
My configuration :
Python 2.3.5                       Enthought Edition                   in
C:\PYTHON23;
Python 2.4                (with wxPython,BOAConstructor)       in  C:\py24
(sic!)
Sorry,I only use IDLE on Linux,so I'm unaware of this strange behaviour of
its on Windows,but I would review that the same,if I only knew what Windows
version you are using and the build number of the Python version (the third
number after 2.4)
Cheers
Ivan