[Tutor] Syntax Errors

Jason Massey jason.massey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:43:52 CET 2006

I've just finished ripping out a bunch of lines in one of my wxPython
programs.  Testing it out I get:

C:\Python24>tla2.py
  File "C:\Python24\tla2.py", line 412
    self.grid.SetCellValue(0,0,"Site")
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

There's nothing wrong with that line.  I didn't even touch it in the
overhaul (refactoring is much too delicate of a word for the surgery I just
did).  I can make the error go away by unindenting the line, but all that
happens then is the error gets passed onto the next line down.

I've had this happen before on a smaller scale.  Python wouldn't like a
certain line and I found that if I moved it up in the function the error
would go away. Unfortunately this overhaul touched on at least three
functions.  Oddly enough the function where I did the majority of the work
seemed to come out fine.

Any pointers on tracing this down?  In C I would expect I didn't have a set
of matching braces or a missing semi-colon.

thanks,

jason