[Tutor] Python code pretty-print?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 3 22:29:25 CET 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Lance E Sloan wrote:

> A colleague of mine often develops Python code under Mac OS X.  He would
> like to be able to print the code in an easily readable format.  He's
> found that kwrite on Linux does a very nice job, but it's inconvenient
> to copy his code to a Linux box just to print it out.
>
> We've found mention (mostly in manpages) of a program called
> "pyhtmlizer", but couldn't find source or binary for it.

Hi Lance,

'pyhtmlizer' is in the twisted package, under twisted.scripts:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.scripts.htmlizer.html

You should be able to get the source there.

Alternatively, the Python Cookbook has a good recipe for syntax
highlighting:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52298

Finally, GNU Enscript might be applicable.  GNU Enscript knows how to
colorize and pretty print different programming languages, and I believe
it's already in Mac OS X.

    http://www.osxfaq.com/man/1/enscript.ws

If you use the --pretty-print, --color, and -Whtml options, you should be
able to get some reasonable output with it.

Best of wishes!