[Tutor] TypeError: object doesn't support item assignment [ Trying to learn how to enter value in array ]

John Joseph jjk_saji at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 09:48:42 CET 2006

Hi All
   I am trying to write a program in  which I enter
the no of students and then for the students I enter
the marks and later on Display the marks
The script which I wrote is  given below , when I run
the program I get error
“TypeError: object doesn't support item assignment “ ,
my aim in doing  this program is to learn how to enter
values in a array , please advice  how can I avoid
this error
           Guidance requested
                   Thanks
                     Joseph

# This program is to learn how u enter entry to the
array
# And how u print it ,

print " \nFirst Enter the No of Students ... "
print "\n Then No of marks "

# defining empty array a
a = ()
# defining i
i = 0

# n is the No of  students which I have to enter the
marks
n = int(raw_input("Enter the no: of students :  \n"))

# m is the Marks of the students which I have to enter
while i < n:
        m = int(raw_input("Enter the Marks for the
students :  \n"))
        a[i] = m
        print "Marks are ", m
        i = i+1