[Tutor] RDT server for excel

János Juhász janos.juhasz at VELUX.com
Tue Feb 28 09:34:12 CET 2006

Hi Danny, Hi Bob,

thanks your help.
RTD is really very win32 specific. The long name is RealTimeData service,
that is implemented as COM service.
It retrieves real-time data from a program that supports COM automation.

With this service an excel cell can hold the answer of this service called
by parameters given in the cell.
I just tried to implement it on our network, but it seems to be too handy.
Better to not use.
I wouldn't like to take care to register com services on every PCs. It
shouldn't not simplify but complicate this new possibility.
So I just solved the problem in excel with a user defined function. It
needn't any extra installation on the PCs.

I can write a python webserver easier, that can answer on the intranet for
this request
      http:\\www.dataserver.mycompany.com\balance?stockcode=soap&date=today
So the webquery seems to be more simple :)

Yours sincerely,
______________________________
János Juhász

                 Danny Yoo
                 <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkele
                 y.edu>                 To
                                                János Juhász <janos.juhasz at VELUX.com>
                                        cc
                 2006.02.27 18:40               tutor at python.org
                                        Subject
                                                Re: [Tutor] RDT server for excel

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, [ISO-8859-1] J?nos Juh?sz wrote:

> I would like to make a small RDT Server as COM Server in python that can
> be called from excel as =RDT("StockBalance.MyServer",,"100007") I'v
> tried to use google, but with not too much success. I just would like a
> simple sample.

Hi Janos,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we can be of much help, since this is very
Windows specific.  You might want to ask about this on the win32 list; the
folks there have more expertise on writing COM servers, and I'm sure they
can give a few pointers.  Here's a link to their mailing list: