[Tutor] Locking a file in linux with Python

Pat Martin wpmartin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:14:21 CET 2006

> > I am trying to find on the web how to lock a file with python in Linux.
> > I am trying to process a group of files that are continually being
> > written to and when I am working on one file I would like to be able to
> > lock it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for that.
>
> Hi Pat,
>
> Take a look at the 'portalocker' recipe in the Python Cookbook:
>
>     http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65203
>
> Does this address your question?
>

> Good luck to you!

I had actually looked at that site, but when I do the commands

testfile = open('testlock', 'a+')
fcntl.flock(mboxfile.fileno(), fcntl.LOCK_EX)

in the interpreter and then try to access the file in another terminal (I
leave the interpreter open) I can write to the file just fine with vi. So I
am not thinking it is working. Unless I am missing something...

Thanks again.

Pat Martin