[Tutor] 'in-place' methods

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Sun Feb 19 06:07:25 CET 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Alan Gauld wrote:

> But don't even joke about it.

It is pretty cringe-worthy, isn't it?

> Decorators are bad enough, no more line noise in Python.

I was actually kind of sad to see that added.  It struck me as the first
grafted-on feature of Python that *felt* grafted-on.  Fortunately, I'm not
at the level of programming that I'm ever likely to run into it, so I can
safely ignore it.

Another one like this: the Generics feature of Java 5.  Not that I care
much for Java, anyway,[1] but yech.

> If we want weird characters in our code we can just learn Perl!
> I assume this was intended irony Terry?....

Absolutely.  I'm a Perl refugee.

[1] Every couple of years, I decide to learn Java, and start going through
a book -- usually the same book.  It doesn't go long before I say to my
self, "Gosh, why would I ever want to program this language, anyway?"