[Tutor] G'day

John Connors oztriking at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 12:05:39 CET 2006

G'day, I'm new to Python and new to the list and just thought I'd say a quick hello before asking my 1st dumb question. My name is John and I live in Australia,  I've been using computers since about 1983. I haven't done any programming since the commodore 64 basic days, I was fairly proficient with basic so I'm hoping I can pick up python without too much grief. I'm running Fedora Core 4 and using Python 2.4.1. My 1st dumb question: I have a copy of Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours, printed in 2000 so I guess it's virtually usless but i was hoping to learn some of the basics from it. There is a small bit of code near the beginning... print "Hello, World!"print ' 'Goodbye, World!" which returns a syntax error for the 2nd line. I thought it was a typo and changed it to print "Goodbye, World!".  This would be fine except further on the book there is similar syntax in some of the longer scripts. My guess is that syntax was ok for an older version of Python that book was written for.  I would like to know what the correct code should be. John