[Tutor] Postgresql+Python -tutorial?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 10:06:07 CET 2006

> Alan G wrote:
>> Is there some advantage to Postgres over MySql?
>
> Yes and no. Postgresql offers more features and is IMO more flexible
> than most SQL servers out there.

Thanks for the list, several things I didn't know.

> Example: postgresql enables you to set up editable sql views.

Most databases I've used (Oracle, DB2, Interbase) can do this,
I wasn't aware MySql couldn't.

> However, MySQL is used a lot in web pages because it can return queries
> much faster than any other database - the catch is that it can only do
> this with transaction-less tables.

And I didn't know about Transactionless tables.

> Hope that helped?
>
> Joal Heagney

Yes thanks. My interest comes from the fact that I am in the process
of reconfiguring my home network and in particular wanted a popular
opensource database to replace my ancient copy of Oracle for Linux.
The choices are Firebird, MySql and Postgres. I am familiar with the
first but the others are more popular (think job experience...)

Thanks again,

Alan G.