[Tutor] Data hiding in Python.

Jonathon Sisson sisson.j at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:13:11 CET 2006

> My vote is, no, not worth the trouble. It's Java / C++ / static-typing /
> put-the-client-in-a-straightjacket-so-they-don't-touch-anything thinking.

Heh...and don't forget the king-pin of them all, C#.  Between private,
public, protected, internal, and protected internal I lose track of what
I was originally doing and end up contemplating the meaning of "what if
another programmer wants to use this creation of mine" instead of doing
what I set out to do...

I'm with Kent on this one...definitely not worth the trouble to
bastardize Python like that...

As a side note, does anyone have a good argument for access level
controls like C#?  I personally think it's a waste of time (much like
C#/ASP.NET...my apologies to any .NET fans out there...), and honestly
the arguable margin of security that access modifiers provide is
outweighed by the cons, in my opinion.  (And usually what programmers
end up doing is creating "service methods" that allow access anyways, so
the margin of "security" is lost).  Thoughts?

Jonathon