[Tutor] omnicomplete vim python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 09:25:40 CEST 2006

>i want some form of suggestion or autocompletion
> so if i say
> import aspell
> and then type
> aspell.
> i know what are available without running to pyshell or some
> interpreter
> and aspell.Dict(
> should suggest wat are the possible arguments

This isn't answering Anil's question but I'm curious.
I've had access to editors that do this kind of thing since 1988
when I first encountered DECs LSE(Language Sensitive Editor)
for the VAX. and in a more limited form C and Lisp modes on emacs.
Then it became popular on PC editors in Visual Studio and
the Borland tools.

But does anyone actually use this feature? I know I don't, in
fact I usually turn it off because I find it distracting! I usually
know what attributes or methods I need to call, and the
parameters that I need to pass often depend on context anyway
so the tools often get it wrong.

So I'm curious, how many folks actively use these so-called
productivity features like intellisense/omnicomplete?

BTW I don't mind toopltips - where they tell you the signature
of a function but don't fill it in... Its the autocomplete feature
I've
never found helpful.

Alan G