[Tutor] Tutor FAQ?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 21:14:47 CEST 2006

I suspect the best way to generate a scientific list of FAQ is
by scanning the subjects in the list archives. But here are
a few more:

Special function _xxx_ doesn't work - double underscore needed

Lack of indentation or inconsistent indents - inc tabs and spaces

How to name an object based on user input - use a dictionary usually!

How to get an attribute of an object by name - getattr()

How does Python do my favourite PHP/Perl/VB trick
    Various possibilities here

Binding functions to widgets
    ie not using parens after the function name

How do I read the output from a program called via os.system()
    popen, command and the new Popen class

Changing elements in a mutable object changes the object for
all references

assignment versus equality in x=x+1

That should keep you busy :-)

Alan G.