[Tutor] Tutor FAQ?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Apr 20 18:34:58 CEST 2006

Mike Hansen wrote:
> I'd like to send a big Thank You to Danny, Alan, Kent and others(whos names
> escape me) for being such an asset to the Python community by relentlessly
> answering questions on the tutor list.(Do these guys sleep? They must work
> in shifts.) This list is one of the most civilized and responsive lists I
> have ever read. When many pop onto the list and ask what may seem like some
> of the most obvious questions, you guys calmly answer and nudge them in the
> right direction without ever losing your patience. It's a great list.

Thanks! I do sleep but I have my email tied in to my clock radio so
whenever an email arrives on the tutor list I am awakened to answer it ;)

> Anyway, I've been reading the list for a couple of years now, and I wonder
> if a Tutor FAQ would be helpful. I don't believe one exists. Should there be
> something on the Python wiki that would list the most common questions to
> the tutor list along with their answers? It would be a FAQ about the tutor
> list as well as common questions to the tutor list.

I wonder about this sometimes too. I think it would be good to have a
place to collect this stuff.

Maybe this could be integrated with the main Python FAQ in a beginner's
section? Fredrik Lundh is experimenting with a FAQ wiki here:
http://pyfaq.infogami.com/

> FAQ about the Tutor List would include
> - The policy on answering homework assignment
> - Why the reply-to is set that way.
> - Post code and exact error message.
> (A lot of this might be in that initial message you get from mailman when
> joining the list, but it might be a good idea to put it on the wiki)
>
> FAQ for common questions to the list would include
> - ord() and chr()
> - Common GUI programming questions
> - String module is deprecated, use string methods
> - ???
>
> I'm sure you can come up with more of the common questions. Does this sound
> like a reasonable idea?

Sounds good to me. Are you volunteering?

Kent