[Tutor] [Linux] open a file in any home "~" ?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 21:29:36 CEST 2006

> The ".myapp.conf" is in the home folder of the user.
> obviously I won't know the home user folder name then I wanted to use:
> How can I do to access this file whatever the user is ?

You can get the user name using getpass.getuser() as described in
the OS topic of my tutor under the Securiity heading.

You can also try using os.getenv() or the os.environ variable
to look up the HOME environment variable, also discussed
in the OS topic.

HTH,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor