[Tutor] failing to learn python

Payal Rathod payal-python at scriptkitchen.com
Wed Apr 12 16:02:01 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:35:15PM +0100, Alan Gauld wrote:
> Python is a general programmjing language great for bigger jobs.  If

But what does Python excel at. That si my main question. Whatevfer I
think of I can already do or know a way to do in shell. I am not getting
where would I need Python.
e.g. for parsing log files with regex I rather use egrep than Python.
For counting the number of mails received for a user I use awk, where
can I use Python. Everyone says it is a "general programming language",
but what in the world is a "general programming language"?
The Python video said that one can take this language to good level in 1
afternoon, for me it has been 2 months and more. What is wrong?

With warm regards,
-Payal