[Tutor] failing to learn python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:33:07 CEST 2006

>> What kind of real life problems are you interested in? You might like
>
> I am a parttime sys admin so I want system admin problem which usually I
> do through shell scripts like parsing logs, generating reports, greping
> with regexes etc.

My tutor is specifdically targetted at computer power users invcluding
sys admins. It has examples of parsing files and creating reports (albeit
very simple ones since its for beginners) and using regex. It also has
side bars on topics like using WSH on Windows and other OS specific
topics.

There are also specific topics on using the OS and IPC comms etc being
written.

> The only thing I don't want is silly problems like generate fibonnacci
> series, add numbers frm 0-n etc. non required silly stuff.

None of the above are silly stuff, they are all needed in various real
world computing and scientific problems. However I do agree that
they are not what most beginners will be doing and I try to avoid
any math type exercises. (I do use factorials as an example of
recursion alongside another more practical example)

I don't think my tutor was in your list so you might like to give it a go...

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor