[Tutor] find data in html file

lmac lopoff at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 22:43:01 CEST 2005

>Message: 5
>Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:32:41 -0400
>From: Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>
>Subject: Re: [Tutor] find data in html file
>Cc: tutor at python.org
>
>lmac wrote:
>

>>> It's not this simple. The whole thing is that i try to use ebay.de for fetching websites
>>> when i give an articlenumber. The downloading of the site for a specific article is no problem.
>>> But to get the data like price,bidders,shipment etc without the official eBayAPI is hard.
>>> Maybe anyone has a solution made ?
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway. I tried the htmllib. This is a very good lib but i don't get it to work cos
>>> there is no <tag> thing for the data i want to get. This is for html-tags. And to store data
>>> in my own XML-files. (what i am goint to do when i get the data).
>>

>You can try BeautifulSoup which is designed for screen-scraping:
>http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/
>
>But looking at the source for an eBay page it looks challenging. I wonder why you don't use the eBay API to get the information you want? It seems to be free for up to 10,000 requests a month and there is a python package to access it.
>
>Kent
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:55:26 +0100
>From: paul brian <paul1brian at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Tutor] find data in html file
>To: Python Tutor <tutor at python.org>
>

>>> But to get the data like price,bidders,shipment etc without the official
>>> eBayAPI is hard.
>>> Maybe anyone has a solution made ?
>>

> Ebay specifically change around their HTML codes, tags and formatting
> (in quite a clever way) to stop people doing exactly what you are
> trying to do. I think it changes every month.
>
> Like people say, use the API - You need to become an "ebay developer"
> (signup) and can use your own code or the python-ebay thing for free
> in "the sandbox", but must pay $100 or so to have your code verified
> as "not likey to scrunch our servers" before they give you a key for
> the real world.
>
> Its a bit of a pain, so i just hacked turbo-ebay a while back and made
> do.  Worked quite well really.
>

>--
>--------------------------
>Paul Brian
>m. 07875 074 534
>t. 0208 352 1741

I look on it. (BeutifulSoup). At eBay i have now an DevAccount. But if read clearly it is
only the sandbox. Not the real eBay database, what means that i have not access to actual
ongoing auctions. Am i right ? 10.000 is more then enough.
The other thing is i want to write this under Linux. I use only Linux for Internet surfing etc.
And the eBay-API is an windows-dll. Of cos pyEbay is working under Linux too.

Thanx for the tips. I think "Ich schmeiß die Flinte ins Korn und mache alles manuell".

;-)