[Tutor] Book recommendations?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Sep 30 13:57:38 CEST 2005

Kent Johnson wrote:
> Some of the highlights from my bookshelf:

How could I forget the Gang of Four? This is the book that started the Design Patterns movement.
Gamma, Helm, Johnson & Vlissides, Design Patterns
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0201633612,00.html

> Beck, Extreme Programming Explained
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201616416/ref%3Dnosim/armaties/102-7636110-6481700

The publisher's website for this book is
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0321278658,00.html

and I see from that site that there is a second edition out which looks like it might be worth a read even if you have read the first. From a review at Bookpool:
This edition is a completely new version of the book. For example, there are new chapters on Taylorism, lean manufacturing, and the theory of constraints. There are many new ideas and XP is now explained more in terms of its values and principles than through strict adherence to twelve specific practices.

By the way bookpool.com is my favorite place to buy technical books, their prices are often lower than Amazon.com and shipping is reasonable and fast.

Kent