[Tutor] Python equiv to PHP "include" ?

Jay Loden python at jayloden.com
Thu Sep 29 15:55:17 CEST 2005

I've not been able to find an answer to this conundrum anywhere:

My current website is done in PHP with a setup something like this:

::PHP TEMPLATE CODE::

include('file.htm')

::PHP TEMPLATE CODE::

This way, I can have PHP embedded in my htm files and it will be processed as
part of the script. For example, I can have a form that's written in HTML and
processed in PHP, then simply 'include("form.htm")' and I have a form with
processing that's ALSO wrapped in my site template.

I can't figure out how one would approach this in Python (i'm using
mod_python). There's no equivalent to the "include" function from PHP. I
can't use import because then Python would try to parse the HTML from the
imported file. I've looked at stuff like cheetah and PSP, but neither of
those actually answers the question, which is how can I include dynamic
content including PHP code directly into an existing script. Even if I
started using PSP, I still can't "include" a PSP page into the middle of
another PSP page.

I'm definitely willing to consider any other solution for how I can make a
form that processes its input but maintains my template code wrapped around
it, so feel free to point out a "Pythonic" method. I just don't want to
duplicate the template code, and I can't find a nice neat solution like what
I've got in PHP.

-Jay