[Tutor] Embedding

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Sep 28 17:37:56 CEST 2005

Joseph Quigley wrote:
> Hi,
> Ok, I'll try to convince them to try python... but still, would it be
> best to just:
> Program in C with Python and Java scripts

This seems like a poor choice. Some commercial games have been written with the main game engine in C and Python used to script some game elements. My guess is that to have some game elements scripted in Python and some in C would be problematic. I guess you could program in C with Jython and Java scripts...

> Program in Python with a little bit of C?

That sounds more practical to me. Though I confess I haven't actually written any games this way, ISTM you could start with Python + Pygame and rewrite to C for performance as needed.

> The game we're trying to make is a Super Mario type game (or super tux
> for you like linux games).
> I suppose pygame would make it a breeze for video, sound and graphics!
> My only problem is I haven't done any games withy pygame at all and
> can't find any pygame tutorials (when I google).

Did you look on the pygame site?
http://pygame.org/tutorials.html

Also many of the sample games are open source:
http://pygame.org/projects/20

Search comp.lang.python for "game programming":
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/search?hl=en&group=comp.lang.python&q=game+programming&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

The rules page for the PyWeek Game Programming Challenge lists many other game programming resources. Also the submissions to this challenge are open source:
http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/PyWeek/1/rules.html/#entries-are-to-be-written-from-scratch

Kent