[Tutor] HTTP GET Request

paul brian paul1brian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:04:46 CEST 2005

> Basicall, what I need is a stand alone CGI.  Instead of the program passing
> the data off to a CGI, I want it to parse and handle the request directly.

instead of which program ?

Http requests are served by a web server (ie Apache), which depending
on the type of request passes the request to wherever.

As such any HTTP request *must* be handled first by a web server, and
cgi scripts traditionally lived in cgi-bin directory on the server so
a URL would look like http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/myscript.py

I think you have 3 options

1. use the cgi module in python to create scripts like the one above.
    They will not be fast but it gives you a lowlevel access to the request
    However cgi was out of date about 8 years ago - it has some
serious    limitations mostly on speed/capacity.

2. use a system like mod_python. This is better than cgi for lots of reasons,
    mostly to do with speed. Here you also have access to the request
 objects,   but there is a bit of a learning curve.

3. Zope - higher level than even mod_python and still more of a learning curve

(there is a multitude of python based cgi repalcements, Django,
webware and others spring to mind.  But there is no clear "winner"
amoungst the community)

I would recommend that you look at taking a weekend to install apache,
and play with both the cgi module and mod_python.  mod_python is
pretty good and fairly well documented, as well as being pretty low
level.

I think there is a lot to do here - perhaps if you tell us exactly
what you need we can point you at a solution. Some web hosters provide
mod_python or zope hosting and that might be a way to get up and
running faster.