[Tutor] script question

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Sep 26 14:13:38 CEST 2005

Chris Hallman wrote:
> The script is executed in this
> manner:
>
> python search_interface.py device interface interface_name "is down -
> 00:00:00 01/01/06"
>
> Here is the script:
>
> import ConfigParser, string, sys
> section = sys.argv[1]
> port = sys.argv[3]
> INI=ConfigParser.ConfigParser()

Generally all caps names are used for constants, it would be more idiomatic to use ini.

> INI.read("interfaces.ini")
> passwordentries=[p for p in INI.options(section)]

This could just be
passwordentries = INI.options(section), which is already a list. But even better, see below...

> passwordlist=[INI.get(section, pw) for pw in passwordentries]

The above two lines can be replaced with
passwordlist = [value for name, value in INI.items(section)]
which just accesses the section once.

Kent