[Tutor] printing an acronym

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 25 08:47:10 CEST 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 andrade1 at umbc.edu wrote:

> How could I get the following to print out an acronym for each phrase
> entered such as if I entered random access memory it word print out RAM?

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, are you already familiar with Python's "lists"?

If so, then you might want to try the slightly easier problem of pulling
out acronyms out of a list of words.  Extracting an acronym out of a list
like:

    ["International", "Business", "Machines"]

    ==> "IBM"

is not too bad, and is one step toward doing the original problem on the
phrase "International Business Machines".

Tutorials like:

    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutseq2.htm

and the other tutorials on:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

should talk about lists.  Please feel free to ask questions here!