[Tutor] Using new style classes and __slots__

Liam Clarke ml.cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 03:36:48 CEST 2005

Ooer,

Well, I got setattr() and property() working together nicely, but with
a weird side effect.

class Strange(object):
    def getA(um, self):
        print "What is", um
        return self.__a

    def setA(um, self, value):
        print um, "turns up here as well."
        self.__a = value

    def __init__(self):
        setattr(Strange, "a", property(self.getA, self.setA))
        self.a = 20

>>> c = Strange()
<__main__.Strange object at 0x01166290> turns up here as well.
>>> print c.a
What is <__main__.Strange object at 0x01166290>
20
>>> c
<__main__.Strange object at 0x01166290>

To my uneducated eye, it looks like it's passing self twice! Returning
um.__a works exactly the same as self.__a!

I'm getting the feelin I may need to venture into comp.lang.Python
with this sort of stuff.

Interesting.

Liam Clarke