[Tutor] Python DB

Christopher Arndt chris.arndt at web.de
Thu Sep 22 11:29:33 CEST 2005

Matt Williams schrieb:
> These seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum - so do others have
> either comments on these options, or other suggestions.

Well, I havn't use either yet, but I have some experience with SQL DBs.
>From what I read on the website, Kirby seems like a nice idea, if you really
need nothing more than table-structured data, made up of simple data types.

It only supports basic data types (int, float, string, boolean, date[time]) no
objects and it isn't even relational, i.e. you can't express references between
tables or columns and when querying for data, you can do so only from one table
at a time. This makes it very hard to normalize your data, because you would
have to handle all the relations between tables in your code. The nice thing
is, it writes flat text files, you can edit by hand or probably even import
into a spreadsheet application.

ZOBD, on the other hand, is a totally differnt beast. It doesn't store data in
tables, but stores (as the name says) objects, which might feel more natural to
use in your code. Note, that it is written partly in C and as such, might not
be so easy to deploy as a pure-python solution like Kirby.

Just my 2 centy, Chris