[Tutor] IDEs

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 19:12:41 CEST 2005

>  For Windows, the finest Shareware edit IMHO is Boxer.

Editor religious wars are nearly as bad as programming
language wars but I can't resist.

My favourite windows editor these days is gvim. I've never got
round to adding the python scripting feature, mainly because
I try not to customize it too much. But its simple, fast and
works the same on Linux, Mac and Windoze...

I used to be an emacs zealot but for some reason emacs never
seemed comfortable on Windows.

>  But if I programmed only in Python and only on windows, I'd
>  use PythonWin.

Pythonwin is better than IDLE, but I still prefer gvim and a
command line prompt. Although I confess to firing up Pyhonwin
occasionally to use it's debugger!

Alan G.

PS I'm playing with JSP at the moment and am very impressed
with the open source NetBeans IDE. It would be nice if someone
modified it to work with Python! :-)