[Tutor] Python as operating system?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 13 23:51:15 CEST 2005

> Python is theoretically capable of being used to write an OS, but that
> is an exercise that is probably left to theory. There are a lot of good
> OS'es out there that would undoubtedly perform much better than a
> PythonOS ever could. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool, though. :-)

I haven't looked at this too closely, but:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cleese

appears to show that the theory can be applied, even if it isn't
practical.  *grin*  Not sure if this project is still active, though.

[Off-topic from Python: there are several other mature systems written in
high level languages.  These systems could be considered as OS's in their
own right.  The Smalltalk folks, for example, have had this for a long
time;  Squeak could be considered a high-level operating system:

    http://www.squeak.org/

MrEd/DrScheme is another compelling example of a system that could be
considered a high-level operating system, given the environment that they
expose.  The paper: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp99-ffkf.pdf
talks about this in more detail.]

Best of wishes!