[Tutor] smtp error

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 7 07:39:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Shitiz Bansal wrote:

> does this error make sense to anyone?
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/Documents and
> Settings/Administrator/Desktop/lkp.py", line 46, in
> -toplevel-
>     s.sendmail(msg['From'], i, msg.as_string())
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 692, in
> sendmail
>     raise SMTPDataError(code, resp)
> SMTPDataError: (550, 'Invalid recipient:
> shitizb at yahoo.com')

Hello,

According to:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/SMTP-objects.html

the second argument to 's.sendmail()' needs to be a list, even if it is a
list of a single element.  I'm not positive that this is the bug, but it's
a possible error.  The code also mentions that it's talking to your local
SMTP mail server.  Is that right?

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure yet.  Try turning on smtplib's debug mode by
doing:

    s.set_debuglevel(1)

and try again: it should spit out more debugging information to help us
see what's going on.

Good luck!