[Tutor] Recursion and List Comprehensions

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Sat Oct 29 02:48:36 CEST 2005

Alan et al:

After reading the topic you recommended I tried rewriting my permute
function as follows:

##########
def permute3 (word):
    if len(word) == 1:
        # There is only one possible permutation
        retList=[word]
    else:
        # Return a list of all permutations using all characters
        for pos in range(len(word)):
            # Get the permutations of the rest of the word,
            # tack the first char onto each word in the list
            # and add it to the output
            retList=[word[pos]+item for item in permute3(word[0:pos]+
word[pos+1:])]
    return retList
##########

The list comprehension looks correct to my eyes.  However, when I run the
function I always get back a one element list.  For example

>>> permute.permute3('test')
['tset']

By contrast my previous version returns the correct output:

>>> permute.permute2('test')
['test', 'tets', 'tset', 'tste', 'ttes', 'ttse', 'etst', 'etts', 'estt',
'estt', 'etts', 'etst', 'stet', 'stte', 'sett', 'sett', 'stte', 'stet',
'ttes', 'ttse', 'tets', 'test', 'tste', 'tset']

Note that permute3 returns the last element of the list returned by
permute2.  This is true in general:  permute3 always returns the last
element generated by permute2.

I think there is a problem with the assignment (retList= ...), but the
append operator (retList+= ...) causes this error:

>>> permute.permute3('tests')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "permute.py", line 50, in permute3
    retList+=[word[pos]+item for item in
permute3(word[0:pos]+word[pos+1:len(word)])]
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'retList' referenced before assignment

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks again.

Barry