[Tutor] os.system sending of break signals

Johan Geldenhuys johan at accesstel.co.za
Fri Oct 28 09:00:39 CEST 2005

So far:
I tried
 >>> f = os.popen('ping 192.168.8.85 -c 100 > cap2.txt')

You will see that I send the output from the command to a file, because
I want to test how stop the command before it reaches 100 pings.
If I don't write the output to the file 'cap2.txt' and succeeds in
closing 'f', all the data returned to 'f' will be lost.

If i use:
 >>>f.close()
Then 'f' is not closed and the commands until 100 packets has been send.

So, I am still looking for a way to stop the command before it
terminates by itself. I will not be able to get the process ID in all he
cases to kill it that way.

Then I tried :
 >>> f = os.popen2('ping 192.168.8.85 -c 100 > cap3.txt')
 >>> f
(<open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w' at 0x40389530>, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'r' at 0x404a69f8>)
 >>> f[0].close()
 >>> f[1].close()
 >>> f
(<closed file '<fdopen>', mode 'w' at 0x40389530>, <closed file
'<fdopen>', mode 'r' at 0x404a69f8>)

This as you can see closes the fd's but the command is not terminated,
because I can see my filesize is growing.

Any other Ideas or what am I doing wrong?

TIA,