[Tutor] pytunes (Was __slots__, struct, etc.)

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Mon Oct 24 23:29:54 CEST 2005

For all of them --- not guaranteed that you'll be able to achieve the optimum..

My solution is basically a greedy algorithm: Make a list of (artist,
tracks) pairs, and sort descending by len(tracks).  Then iteratively:
 1. Take the next track from the first artist on the list.
 2. Move that artist down to position total/len(tracks).

Repeat until all tracks have been selected :-)

Generally it works well, except at the end of the playlist sometimes.
See attachment for my implementation. (uses mmpython, which you can
find on the net)

--
John.